This page is a supplement for the book. Under each chapter heading, you will find links to videos, help articles, and other resources for learning Google Photos.
Show us your book! and your face. Add your selfie to our group photo album here.
What has changed?
I have been keeping a list of updates to Google Photos since mid 2018
Chapter 1: Your Google Account
- Author’s videos for Chapter 1
Know your Google Account
- Nov 2020 News: Google Photos free unlimited storage is ending – here’s everything you need to know
Chapter 2: Getting Started with Mobile
- Author’s videos for Chapter 2 (in a Google Photos album)
- Video: How to check if your Google Photos app is up to date
Installing on Android, Installing on iPhone
- Google Help Center
Choose the upload size of your photos and videos
Free up Space on your device
Chapter 3: Collecting the rest of your life’s photos and videos
- Author’s videos for Chapter 3 (in a Google Photos album)
- Author’s videos for Chapter 3 (in a YouTube playlist)
- Links to Other Resources
Episode 134 Scanning photos with photoscan
Sample photos from an old photo album, captured with smartphone
Sample photos captured from slides
Review Chapter 1-3 (answers)
Question 1= 2 ; 2= 2 ; 3= True ; 4= go to photos.google.com and sign in with your Google account ; 5= 2 ; 6= True ; 7= False ; 8= View your Google photos from a device other than the phone that took the photos ; 9= b ; 10= False ; 11= d ; 12= a ; 13= c
Chapter 4: Getting Around in Google Photos
Chapter 5: How to find the memories you’re looking for
Google Help Center article: Search by People, Things and Places
Chapter 6: Keep your memories safe
- Videos: Tutorials by Chris for this chapter
- Resource: How to download photos and videos – including details on Takeout
- Discussion: What are duplicates
Chapter 7: Editing to improve your photos
October 2020 – Google is rolling out a new photo editor on the Android platform. Here is my article and 3 videos all about the changes.
Chapter 8: Organizing with Albums and Favorites
Chapter 9: Sharing
Review Chapters 4-9 (answers)
Question 1= c ; 2= b ; 3= Shift-click ; 4= b ; 5= False ; 6= a ; 7= True ; 8= d ; 9= 2d icon ; 10= c ; 11= True
Chapter 10: Surrounding Yourself with your memories
- Author’s videos for Chapter 10
- Now that “For You” tab is gone, you can find creations on the browser version using these URLs
Chapter 11: Apple Photos and iCloud vs Google Photos
- Author’s articles
- My iPhone is full of photos
Chapter 12: Troubleshooting
- Problems with print orders? Here is the direct link to the form to fill out: Get help with your Google Photos print order issue
- Good forum answer: Can you recover deleted photos?
- Google Help Articles
- My photos aren’t backing up
- Can’t find your photos?
- Find missing photos and videos
- How many photos are in my account? Go to https://myaccount.google.com/dashboard and check the Photos count. Realize that photos in albums count twice, even though they only exist once. See discussion here.
- About Duplicates: How to remove or prevent duplicates
- Account payment questions: Please try Get support and ask a Google Expert – Computer – Google One Help If the Google One support link doesn’t get an answer, please try the Google Pay support team https://support.google.com/pay/gethelp and fill in the form requesting either a chat or submit an email .