Please ask your questions here (not in email) – we promise to respond here, no such promise with email. This is a benefit of membership. Here’s info on how to post to this Q&A Forum.
You must be logged in as a Premium Member to Ask the Geeks a question. All are welcome to freely browse the Forums.
June 19, 2019
I have been creating Albums in Google Photos uploading short movies as Albums.
However the “cover” i.e. the pictogram that is shown in the list to represent the Album is completely black.
Please see the Image that I upload as attachment.
As I do with Photo Albums I have tried, during the execution of the movie, to click the Three Dots and click “Use as Album Cover” but this approach does not work. The cover remains black.
What do you suggest me to do?
Thanks and regards
I have also uploaded videos that show up as black boxes. The reason is that the very beginning of the video is blank, it takes a few seconds for the actual recording to kick in and it’s not easy to change that.
Since you’ve made it an album, I do have an idea. If you have a photo that represents the subject of the video – add that photo to the album and set it as the cover photo. If you don’t have a photo, you can capture a frame of the video as a photo. To capture a frame:
- open the video on a mobile device
- Tap the Edit button and then you’ll see a “Export Frame” button
- scrub thru the possible frames and settle on one you like and tap Export Frame
Hope that helps
June 19, 2019
Thank you for your reply but I have problems.
When you say “open the video on mobile device” do you mean start the video on a telephone or tablet by tapping the black box representing the video on Goggle Photos Albums?
If I do that the video plays. Then if I tap a frame I like I get a choice “use it as album cover” if I tap that I get ” album cover changed” I thing that I got what I wanted but “NOOOOO” the cover has not changed and I still have black boxes.
Thanks for your help.
Yes, I mean to play the video. Then you need to create a new photo by choosing a frame from the video. This nust be done using the phone because the web version does not have the video editing tool.
- While the video is playing – tap the edit button (you need to tap the screen and the edit button will appear at the bottom)
- Now you will see a filmstrip below the video – scroll thru that (you’ll see a white bar marking what frame of the video you’re viewing) when you see a frame you like, tap the “Export Frame” button. That creates a new photo.
- Go back to your main photo library view and find that new photo. Add it to the album with the video in it.
- Now open the album, open the photo and tap the “Use as album cover”
I know this is quite a few steps – it is a workaround I’ve come up with for the problem of a video that starts with a black screen.