QT007. iOS 11 new photo format | Quick Tip Videos | Forums: Ask the Geeks!

Please ask your questions here (not in email) – we promise to respond here, no such promise with email. This is a benefit of membership. Here’s info  on how to post to the Forum.

You must be logged in as a Premium Member to Ask the Geeks a question. All are welcome to freely browse the Forums.

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
QT007. iOS 11 new photo format
September 22, 2017
5:29 pm
MrsGeek
Admin
Forum Posts: 2323
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If you have updated your iPhone to iOS 11, your default photo format has changed. This new format is HEIC and HEVC for videos. It is a new format that stores photos in less space. That’s a good thing, but you may find that your Android phone or Windows computer may have a problem with it. This video explains and gives Mrs. Geek’s advice as to what to do now.

Go to the Quick Tip Videos page and click the link, then find QT007.

October 7, 2017
11:50 am
Phyllis Seeman
Members
Forum Posts: 4

I followed your instructions on IOS 11 on my iPad . Settings ….camera but I don’t see the words Format.

After Settings, camera it says Preserve Settings and Keep Normal Photo.  Is that it.  It doesn’t say most compatible.  I have 3 more devices to do   Thanks

October 10, 2017
11:42 am
MrsGeek
Admin
Forum Posts: 2323

Phyllis,

No, that’s something different. I think your iPad is not using the new HEIC format, therefore there is no need for a setting to turn it back to .jpg. 

If you open Google Photos, then open a new photo taken with your iPad, and click the i for info. YOu should see the filename. Does it end in .jpg? or .HEIC?

October 10, 2017
1:04 pm
Phyllis Seeman
Members
Forum Posts: 4

Jpg    So I’m ok..  Thank you.  I am holding off on my iPhone as I do not like some of the updates of 11.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 84

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

THOMAS J PARKS: 128

Roxie Marston: 110

Bob Brown: 95

Barbara Dalderis: 93

David Cross: 89

Bill Osborne: 65

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 309

Members: 2006

Moderators: 3

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 19

Topics: 1728

Newest Members:

Janice Core, Sue Price, Selene DelJuidice, robert boothe, james J sirmons, kate webb

Moderators: Christine Guld: 0, Jim Guld: 0, rvnavigator: 9

Administrators: MrGeek: 398, MrsGeek: 2323, Craig Biles: 0