Please ask your questions here (not in email) – we promise to respond here, no such promise with email. This is a benefit of membership. Here’s info on how to post to this Q&A Forum.
You must be logged in as a Premium Member to Ask the Geeks a question. All are welcome to freely browse the Forums.
TOPIC: PICASA AND 64 BIT COMPUTER
AFTER USING PICASA FOR QUITE SOMETIME AND BEING REALLY EXCITED ABOUT DISCOVERING SUCH A GREAT PROGRAM FOR PICTURES, I’M NOW PLAGUED BY A PROBLEM THAT I HAVEN’T BEEN ABLE TO RESOLVE.
APPROXIMATELY A YEAR AND HALF AGO WE PURCHASED A 64 BIT COMPUTER AND A NEW ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER WHICH I’VE BEEN VERY PLEASED WITH EXCEPT WHEN I WANT TO WORK IN PICASA.
HERE ARE THREE PROBLEMS THAT I’M EXPERIENCING:
1. THE IMPORT PAGE IS TOTALLY GRAYED OUT AND THE ONLY WAY I KNOW TO IMPORT SCANNED PICTURES IS THROUGH WINDOWS PHOTO GALLERY THEN EDIT AND SAVE THEM IN PICASA WHERE I ALREADY HAD A GREAT MANY PICTURES SAVED.
2. WHEN I WANT TO DOWNLOAD FROM A DIGITAL CAMERA I CANNOT ELIMINATE DUPLICATES AS THAT CHOICE IS ALSO TOTALLY GRAYED OUT.
3. IF THE TAB FOR THE IMPORT PAGE IS CLICKED ON, THE WHOLE PICASA PROGRAM LOCKS UP.
THESE 3 PROPLEMS HAVE BECOME VERY ANNOYING AND TIME CONSUMING SO ANY HELPFUL ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
I’M WONDERING IF HAVING A 64 BIT COMPUTER NOW, INSTEAD OF A 32 LIKE MY OLDER COMPUTER, IS CREATING THE PROBLEMS AND IF SO HOW DO I FIX IT?
DO I NEED TO INSTALL A DIFFERENT DRIVER?
ANY TECHNICAL ADVICE NEEDS TO BE EXPLAINED IN THE SIMPLEST OF TERMS AS I AM NOT A COMPUTER GEEK!
Stutty – please use lower and upper case to type your messages. Having letters all the same height makes the message very hard to read. Thanks!
As for your questions:
I have been using Windows 7 64 bit with Picasa for over a year and have not experienced the problems you mention.
1. For Importing scanned pictures – is your scanner listed in the drop-down list next to the words “Import From”? If not, then yes, there may be some issues with your drivers. If it is on the list, then, when you select it, you should see another screen specific to scanning one photo. I've written more instructions for scanning at this article: http://picasatutorials.com/200…..-photos/ But – I have found it a lot easier to just take a picture of the old photo with my digital camera.
Have you watched the video on importing? Picasa video series #6
2. The 'Exclude Duplicates' is just a checkbox. If it is grayed out – is the checkbox checked? or unchecked?
3. If clicking on the Import Tab causes your computer to hang up, then something is definitely wrong. These kind of problems can take hours/days/weeks to hunt down because it is a conflict between Picasa and something else going on in your computer. Does your computer hang up at any other times? Do you have the latest version of Picasa?
Thanks for your timely response!
Some answers to your questions:
I have Windows Vista Home Premium and use Picasa 3 [not the latest version; I was reluctant to upgrade with these problems]
You asked, is my printer listed in the drop-down list next to the words “Import From”. I cannot view that drop-down list nor the other screen specific to scanning one photo.
Yes, I have watched the link for scanning and also Picasa video series #6.
The “Exclude Duplicate” box is checked although the entire import page is grayed out.
No I'm not having difficulty with the computer hanging up with anything else.
Please note that this All-In-One is used without any difficulty with Picasa on a 32 bit computer.
Hope these answers are helpful.