how to delete from one device only 2019 | Windows | Forums: Ask the Geeks!

Please ask your questions here (not in email) – we promise to respond here, no such promise with email. This is a benefit of membership. Here’s info  on how to post to this Q&A Forum.

You must be logged in as a Premium Member to Ask the Geeks a question. All are welcome to freely browse the Forums.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
how to delete from one device only 2019
November 3, 2019
10:20 pm
David Ferrell
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi,

I want to be able to delete photos from one device only, regardless  of which device took the photo. Don’t want to delete from the cloud (or other devices). And don’ t want to sync and have them show up again. Your 2016 advice doesn’t seem to apply to current google photos app. or computer program. Running Windows7 and iPhoneX.

Thanks.

Dave

November 4, 2019
9:37 am
MrsGeek
Admin
Forum Posts: 2845

Dave,

Wellll – if I understand you correctly, you cannot do what you want, because the cloud copy shows up on all devices. Let’s look at a specific scenario:

1. You take a photo with a Samsung phone
  2. Google Photos uploads it to your Google account in the cloud
  3. You can now see that photo on your iPad, using the Google Photos app
  4. You can also see that photo on your Android tablet, using the Google Photos app

You want to remove the photo from the iPad? But, it doesn’t exist on the iPad – you’re just seeing the cloud copy. If you use the iPad and tap the trashcan – you’re deleting from the cloud, leaving the only copy on the Samsung that took the photo.

Could you remind me what my 2016 advice was? Then maybe I can clarify further.

November 4, 2019
2:04 pm
David Ferrell
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Chris,

Thanks for the quick response. It appears that I can’t do what I want to do.

Wife and I share google photos on 5 devices/computers. If she takes ten photos of a single subject, I want to delete 9 of them from MY phone or  MY computer, but don’t want to delete any from her devices (marriages last longer that way). Am I correct that that cannot be done?

If I take ten photos and then delete 9 of them (from Google photos), they will be gone from her devices since they will be gone from cloud. But they will still be in my Apple photo app, since I did not delete them from that app, and they are still on my device until i remove them to make space. Am I correct?

BTW,  disregard my original comment about 2016 post by you.  Looking back at 428 GP from 2016, the interface changed on phones but I think advice was still appropriate. Just not what I was looking for.

Dave in Cascades of Port St Lucie, FL

MrsGeek said
Dave,

Wellll – if I understand you correctly, you cannot do what you want, because the cloud copy shows up on all devices. Let’s look at a specific scenario:

1. You take a photo with a Samsung phone
    1. Google Photos uploads it to your Google account in the cloud
    1. You can now see that photo on your iPad, using the Google Photos app
    1. You can also see that photo on your Android tablet, using the Google Photos app

You want to remove the photo from the iPad? But, it doesn’t exist on the iPad – you’re just seeing the cloud copy. If you use the iPad and tap the trashcan – you’re deleting from the cloud, leaving the only copy on the Samsung that took the photo.

Could you remind me what my 2016 advice was? Then maybe I can clarify further.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 108
Currently Online:
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
THOMAS J PARKS: 153
Roxie Marston: 118
Barbara Dalderis: 105
Bob Brown: 96
David Cross: 89
guppy1: 75
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 402
Members: 1105
Moderators: 1
Admins: 4
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 19
Topics: 2071
Newest Members:
Hal Geiogue, ed harrill, George Paniagua, Deborah Ralston, JOANNE BEAUREGARD, Alison Porter
Moderators: Jim Guld: 0
Administrators: MrGeek: 425, MrsGeek: 2845, Craig Biles: 0, David Carr: 1