Please ask your questions here (not in email) – we promise to respond here, no such promise with email. This is a benefit of membership. Here’s info on how to post to this Q&A Forum. If you need more help, you can book a 30 minute one-on-one Zoom meeting using our Office Hours feature.
You must be logged in as a Premium Member to Ask the Geeks a question. All are welcome to freely browse the Forums.
1. As a new member, I an delighted to see all your friendly resources for those of us who travel and plan our travel with electronic toys.
I have most of this down, but I want to learn more about using the Streets and trips pushpin sets. I downloaded and tested the DiscoveryOwners .est set. It seems to work, except I don't quite understand the results. For example, I activated the Don wrights camping on a shoestring, and also the RV UNFRIENDLY Northwest sets. Each of these shows GPS coordinates and a name, like a town, or an RV park. The unfriendly pins list “NO RV PARK” and then name the location as an RV park. Are these places people have found to be difficult to deal with, or no longer there or what? Don Wrights low budget camping shows GPS locations and name of the town. Is this just a suggestion to go there and look around for a campground? It seems a few more words might make the purpose of the pushpin balloon a bit more clear.
2. Also, after creating a detailed 3000 mile streets and trips map without the added pushpin sets, is there a way to import some of these into the existing map?
3. In your streets and trips pushpin video I thought I saw a long listing for specific type restaurant pushpins. Those are not on the Discovery pin set. The first streets and trips restaurant search included a VEGETARIAN restaurant category, but that was gone in all subsequent versions. Vegetarians probably would seek this guidance more than other food partisans. Is that available anywhere now?
Glad to see you here. Thanks for the compliments.
As for your S&T questions:
1. Each pushpin set from the Discovery Owner's site is created by volunteers – I don't know the answer to your particular questions. I see what you mean by the fact that there are no campground names associated with the Don Wrights pushpin set. I assume that if you follow the directions to that spot, you will see a campground. If you go to the source (DiscoverOwners.com) most sets have an email associated with them, so you can email the provider and ask questions. I don't see an email for the Don Wright files. There is a book by Don Wright – presumable the pushpins on the map correspond to an entry in the book.
2. Yes, you can import individual pushpin sets into your existing trip plan by using copy and paste. See the S&T video: Add Stops to Route.
3. The restaurants are part of the 'Places' that are built-in to Streets and Trips. Us the 'Find Nearby Places' and Categories to tell it what type of restaurants you want. See the video on Finding Places.
Yes, I have used “find nearby places for years, but I understood there was an expanded restaurant list. One problem with find nearby places, the first time you click on it the window comes up with “search entire route” selected by default, even if you have highlighted a place. It takes a long time to stop and cancel out of that so you can select “point” or selected driving instruction. I have mentioned that to the Streets and trips team, lets see how the 2011 version comes out. I hear it should be in stores this week.