Microsoft Excel 2007 | Everything Else Forum | Forums: Ask the Geeks!

Please ask your questions here (not in email) – we promise to respond here, no such promise with email. This is a benefit of membership. Here’s info  on how to post to this Q&A Forum.

You must be logged in as a Premium Member to Ask the Geeks a question. All are welcome to freely browse the Forums.

Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Microsoft Excel 2007
August 30, 2010
10:42 pm
Voyager
Guests

Is there a way to disable the way Excel reformats email addresses so that they are blue, underlined, and “live”?

I already know that hitting CTRL-Z will remove a change that has just happened. I want to prevent the reformatting from happening globally.

August 30, 2010
11:36 pm
S Allan Wilson
Members

Teachers
Forum Posts: 65
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

When I tried this, it immediately created a clickable email address.  I did some things to the the sheet and then removed the hyperlink.  Now, when I enter a email address, it shows up as normal text.  This now happens when I create a new worksheet.  So, I am not sure.  Two possible suggestions – When the program creates a clickable link, right click and remove the hyperlink.  The second option is to change the font to automatic color and remove the underline.  This would still leave the hyperlink there.

I was only able to duplicate your problem once and now I do not know what else to suggest.

Al

August 31, 2010
2:57 am
MrsGeek
Admin
Forum Posts: 3199

Hello Voyager and Al!

Glad to see your discussion – and especially your response Al, since Excel is not one of our standard topics.

But, I do happen to know the answer to this one, as long as I understand it right.  I think you want to turn off Excel's feature of automatically converting an email that you type, into a hyperlink – making the email 'live' as you put it.

That feature is an option.  You find Excel's (version 2007) options by clicking on the Office button (circle in upper left) then at the bottom right of tthat, you'll see a button for

Excel Options.  then choose

Proofing

AutoCorrect Options

AutoFormat ast you Type

UNcheck 'Internet and network paths with hyperlinks'

September 1, 2010
9:02 pm
Voyager
Guests

Thank you. I had looked in Excel Options, but somehow didn't find the right place to “unclick.”

Maybe you can help me with something else.  This involves Excel 2007 and Windows Live Mail. I frequently need to use a filtered email list from Excel and send an email message to all the names. I checked the help files and the MS user forums, but couldn't find out how to do this en masse. I finally figured out that I could copy appropriate columns to Word, change the copy from “table” to “text,” and create a CSV file which can then be imported into WLM. By creating an extra column, I added a field not normally used (by me) and filled it with a common value. Then I created a new category and populated it by searching for that value within WLM. Now when I want to send email to that list of names, I just send to that category. (Categories are like groups in Outlook Express.)

But is there an easier way to get the original list from Excel to WLM?

P.S. I am subscribed to this topic, but I wasn't notified that replies had been posted.

September 1, 2010
9:38 pm
MrsGeek
Admin

Excel can 'Save As' a .csv file.  You'll find it under 'Other Formats' and 'Save as File Type'

As for being notified of replies to this post … you certainly should have been.  Maybe check your junk mail folder?

The notification I got had a subject of: [GeeksOnTour.TV] New Forum Post

September 1, 2010
10:45 pm
Voyager
Guests

Thanks again. I guess the procedure would be to hide columns except for First Name, Last Name, and Email Address in the Excel file. Then add the additional column to search on for creating a category with these names. Then save as a .csv file. Is there another way to create the category? (Except for adding names one at a time in WLM, that is.)

No, I'm not being notified of replies. I searched for “Geeks” in “all e-mail” in WLM. Only came up with your newsletters. Then I searched for “GeeksOnTour.TV.” This got me zilch. Same for “New Forum Post.”

September 2, 2010
5:29 am
MrsGeek
Admin

Check your member profile here and be sure your email is correct.

AS for Excel … realize that hiding columns doesn't remove the data – they'll still be there in the .csv file

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 301
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 11
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
THOMAS J PARKS: 163
Roxie Marston: 118
Barbara Dalderis: 108
Bob Brown: 96
David Cross: 89