Please ask your questions here (not in email) – we promise to respond here, no such promise with email. This is a benefit of membership. Here’s info on how to post to this Q&A Forum.
You must be logged in as a Premium Member to Ask the Geeks a question. All are welcome to freely browse the Forums.
February 2, 2016
Noted your caution in the new video on travel photos etc about making sure you use the same account. Somewhere in time I created a Google account using my Earthlink email and sometime later created one using my Gmail account. As you warn, this sometimes causes conflicts.
Is there a way to merge these accounts into one (Gmail preferred)? Thanks!
There is no way to simply merge accounts, but you can combine photos and maybe other data.
For photos I’ll say you want to get all the photos from an old account added to a new account so you can forget about the old one:
- Log in to old account and open Google Photos, note what photos you see there
- Click on 3-line menu and choose Sharing, then Add partner sharing
- The partner account = the new account’s email address
- Shared library settings: New account can access ALL photos,
- You’re done with old account
In new account:
- Now log in to new account, Open Google Photos, you should see a notification that you’ve been invited to share old’s photos
- Accept the invitation
- Shared library settings: Save to my library: ALL photos
It may take a little bit of time, but that’s all you have to do. Watch in the new account to see that the old photos arrive.
In Mrs. Geek’s Guide to Google photos, see p. 105