Please ask your questions here (not in email) – we promise to respond here, no such promise with email. This is a benefit of membership. Here’s info on how to post to this Q&A Forum.
You must be logged in as a Premium Member to Ask the Geeks a question. All are welcome to freely browse the Forums.
December 29, 2018
I recently completed a trip to Italy, ( I see you spent some time there also) after taking many photos, I want to create an album, but I am getting a message from google saying I am getting close to reaching the limit What is the best way to free up space on Google without subscribing to the additional space?
I hope you enjoyed Italy as much as we did!
I see that your email address is not @gmail.com so I’m assuming that you are only using your Google account for storing photos. The reason I mention this is that the 15GB is shared by Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos. Go to this link to see if any of your storage is being used by the other 2 systems.
If you find, for example, that there’s 5GB in Google Drive and you really don’t use Google Drive, you could delete those files.
As for Google Photos, the first thing to do is make sure that all your photos are using “Storage Saver” size. I find that content somehow slips thru in Original size even though I have selected Storage Saver. You can, retroactively, compress all existing Google Photos content:
- Open Photos.Google.com on a computer and make sure you are signed in to the correct account.
- Click the Settings button (the gear in upper right)
- The first section is to select Original or Storage Saver size, be sure this is on Storage Saver
- Even if it was on Storage Saver, click the “Recover Storage” button – this will go thru all existing content and make sure that everything is compressed to the Storage Saver size.
Next you can use the tool to find things to delete
- Go back to the storage link and scroll down till you see “Get your space back”
- Click on “Free up account storage”
- This will show you big files, blurry photos etc. It is suggesting that these items can be deleted.
- Click on “Review and free up __GB” If you select items here and then click the trash can you will be freeing up space in your account. Realize this will be DELETING THE CONTENT. And – if any of those photos/videos are still on a phone with Backup and Sync turned on – they will be deleted from the phone as well. Make sure what you’re selecting is truly garbage before you delete.
Make sure that all your content is backed up to another location like your computer.
Personally, I think it’s well worth the $20/year to not have to go thru this process.
If you do go thru any of the above process, realize it takes a while for the storage number to decrease. At least a day or two.
Hope that helps.
December 29, 2018
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I did as you suggested and got the account down to 9.8gb used which will work. When I fill it up I will take the extra google storage. We went on a Road Scholar cruise called “The Coasts of Italy”. It was about a 12 cruise starting in Venice and ending in Bologna with about 8 stops in between. It was a good overview of Italy, enough to wet our appetites to return for more detail. Now I need to make my Google Album of the pictures. Thanks again.