This page is intended as a supplement to Mrs. Geek’s Guide to Google Photos, it includes both free content and premium. It is also a gathering place for links to everything we know about Google Photos!
There are two Review quizzes in the book, Here they are in interactive format, with answers:
Google Photos Updates
This list includes both official announcements of new features as well as things I happen to notice with the dates I noticed them.
10/17/19: Android only: Crop document, automatically crop and adjust perspective on photos of documents - e.g. business cards, receipts, or full pages.
10/15/19: Pixel 4 announced at "Made by Google Event" No more free original quality backup for Pixel.
Pixel 1 = free Original uploads forever
Pixel 2 & 3 = free Original uploads until 2020/2021...?
Pixel 4 = none
10/5/19: Search - auto-suggestions no longer limited to 10. This means that you can search for a word and - before enter - you will see all possible albums with that word.
10/5/19: Motion/Live photos - pick the best frame. Android only, (but it works on live photos taken with iPhone) you can open a live/motion photo, tap the 3-dot menu and choose "Select Shots." Now you see a strip of image frames along the bottom where you can slide your finger to the best one and then tap Save a Copy in the upper right.
10/5/19: Android only - New feature on Google Photos menu is "Photo Frames" It allows you to select which albums to display on Chromecast or Google Home hub screens. What you used to need the Home app - ambient mode for, you can now do straight from Google. If you don't know what we mean by displaying photos on Chromecast, see Episode 108 of our Button Show.
9/13/19: Relive past memories with new story-like feature in Google Photos. These are temporary stories compiled from your older photos. You can specify people or dates not to show. Rolling out to iOS and then Android.
9/12/19: Get prints made of any photos using Walmart or CVS. Announcement here. Available immediately in Assistant, Print Store
9/12/19: Google One members get original quality photo backup and the ability to restore to your phone.
9/?/19: Location info now shows just above each day's photos.
8/25/19: Search by text in photo. Not official yet.
7/30/19: iOS version - swipe up for options which used to be on 3-dot menu. For example, Add to Album, Archive, Save to device, Open in Snapseed, Save as PDF(?)
7/24/19: Gallery Go: a light photo app for use by people whose phones do not have reliable internet connection. Works on device only - no cloud access. Should not be considered by current Google Photos users.
7/10/19: Dark mode on Android. Turn on night mode in Display settings. Requires Android version 9 or higher
6/20/19: Added ability to search for "Recently Added" to see photos sorted by date uploaded rather than date taken.
6/12/19: Google Drive<->Google Photos automatic sync will stop working. See official post: Changing how Google Drive and Google Photos work together. And, my article: Questions about Google Drive breaking up with Google Photos And, Michael Daniels YouTube show when I was a guest and discussed this news.
3/20/19: Android - Express backup now on menu. Will be able to backup over slow internet connection at reduced quality. (I still don't see it?) Only shows up where applicable.
3/15/19: iOS-Google Photos library is now integrated with Siri Shortcuts. Go to your device settings to set Siri Shortcuts to work with Google Photos, so you can simply ask Siri to "view latest photo."
3/8/19: Shared Libraries is now shown in the Sharing section on all platforms (iOS, Android, Web) rather than on the menu. (see p. 105 in book)
12/19/18: Photo albums can now hold up to 20,000 photos. See Android Police article
12/11/18: Unsupported videos: web version - settings, Unsupported videos listed and may take up space.
12/6/18: Express Backup - In addition to Original, and High Quality, there is now a size choice for Express Backup
11/20/18: Depth Editor and Color pop now available for iOS. See How to use Depth Editor and Color Pop in Google Photos
10/10/18: Read announcement here.
- Live Albums - A special kind of album where you specify certain people and any pictures of those people or pets will be added to the album automatically.
- Top Shot on Pixel 3: Take a motion picture with a Pixel 3 phone, and Google Photos will pick the best frame to be your still.
- Depth Editor: you can adjust the amount of blur/focus on portrait photos. Only available on Pixel 2, Pixel 3, and a few other Android phones that take portrait/depth photos.
- Color Pop: only available on portrait/depth type of photos. It leaves the main subject in color and the blurry background turns to black and white.
9/15/18: You can now add up to 10,000 photos or videos to a private album.
- In a shared album, each person can add up to 10,000 photos or videos until the album reaches 20,000 total.
- In large albums, some features may not be available
- Mrs. Geek's note: it's still best to keep your albums under 500 photos. They get too confusing, unwieldy, and some features may not work in the bigger albums. The purpose of albums is to segment your photos/highlight your best. 10,000 photos is not a segment!
9/1/18: Photo Books can now have captions with the photos. See this demo in episode 151.
8/5/18: Problem with Snapseed not opening from iOS Google Photos menu. Reported in this thread.
All Google Photos Tutorial Videos
Click on any video listed below to watch it, then click your back button to return to this page.
- Mrs. Geek’s Guide to Google Photos
- Google Photos – Swipe up to see map
- 579.GP-Photos to Drive
- 578.GP-Google Drive to Google Photos
- 576.SM-Backup photos to OneDrive and Google
- 574.GP-Download from Google Photos to Computer
- 572.GP-How To Find a Photo in Google Photos Quick Tip
- 571.GP-Backup Google Photos to OneDrive
- 569.GP-Google Account for Google Photos
- 568.GP-Upload Video to YouTube
- 567.GP-Vacation Movie with Google Photos
- 565.GP-Slideshow w PowerPoint
- 563.GP-Android-save photo from an email attachment
- 561.GP-Sharing photos with a link
- 560.GP-Texting photos using Google Photos
- 554.GP-Viewing the Location of a Photo
- 549.GP-Viewing Descriptions on Google Photos
- 546.BL-How to make a Blog page listing your Google Photos albums
- 542.GP-How to use the Depth Editor and Color Pop in Google Photos
- 541.SM-iPhone:Portrait Photos
- 533.GP-Google Photos Movie editing
- 528.GP-Printing Google Photos Book with Captions
- 527.GP-Making Albums with Google Photos
- 522.GP-Tip Favorites in Google Photos
- 520.GP-Rotate a Photo in Google Photos
- 519.GP-How to use Snapseed from Google Photos on Chromebook
- 509.GP-Snapseed HDR
- 508.GP-Snapseed Round Trip iOS
- 507.GP-Snapseed Round Trip Android
- 506.GP-Snapseed Exercise Files
- 503.GP-Navigate to a Photo with Google Maps
- 500.GP-Install Backup and Sync for Windows
- 499.GP-Google Photos Quick Movie
- 497.GP-Install on iOS
- 496.GP-Install on Android
- 491.GP-Photo edit BlackWhite
- 490.GP-Backup Complete
- 489.GP-Photo Editing
- 488.GP-Add photo to Word doc
- 486.GP-Recover Storage
- 485.GP-What is using your Google Storage?
- 477.GP-How to edit a photo’s date
- 476.GP-Manual upload from smartphone
- 475.GP-How to upload photos from an external hard drive
- 474.GP-Manual Upload from Mac Photos
- 473.BL-Adding photos from Google Photos
- 472.GP-Free Up Space on your iPhone
- 471.GP-How to delete several photos at once
- 469. GP-Make a link list of photo albums
- 468.GP-Adding Google Photos to MyMaps
- 467.GP-Android Gallery vs Google Photos
- 466.GP-Apple vs Google Photos
- 465.GP-How To Crop Photos to fit a widescreen
- 459.SM-New Phone? Don’t Lose Your Pictures!
- 458.GP-Photo editing in SnapSeed
- 457.GP-Editing on Mobile
- 456.GP-Edit Pictures on Computer
- 455.GP-Making Collages with Google Photos or Picasa (Free)
- 448.GP-How to find what is using Google Storage Allotment
- 442.GP-Multiple Exposure HDR
- 439.GP-Creating Animations
- 438.GP-Animation to replace slideshows
- 436.GP-Send Pictures to a Friend
- 435.GP-Selecting multiple photos with Computer
- 434.GP-Photos and Watermarks with PicMonkey
- 432.GP-Manual Upload from Windows
- 431.GP-Free Up Space on your Android
- 430.GP-Free Up Space on iPhone and iPad
- 429.GP-Deleting Pictures using Web
- 428.GP-Deleting Pictures from iOS (iPhone/iPad)
- 427.GP-Deleting Pictures from Android
- 425.GP-old-Editing pictures on Web
- 422.GP-old-Upload from ‘Real’ Camera
- 421.GP-New Menus
- 420.GP-Editing with Google Photos: All Play, No Work! (FREE)
- 406.GP-Movie Maker part 2
- 405.GP-Making Movies part 1
- 400.GP-Your Lifetime of Photos at your fingertips
- 400.GP-Google Photos for your Lifetime of Pictures *FREE
- 399.GP-Edit with the Auto Tool
- 397.GP-Relationship between Photos and Albums
- 396.GP-Gathering all your Photos from Multiple Cameras *Free
- 395.GP-old-Google Photos Autobackup: How to Install on Windows
- 394.GP-old-Autobackup: Start, Stop, Uninstall
- 393.GP-old-Auto Backup Operations on Mac
- 392.GP-old-Auto Backup – How to Uninstall on Mac
- 391.GP-Importance of your Google Account
- 390.GP-old-AutoBackup Installation on Mac
- 389.GP-Android Google Photos Delete from Device
- 388.GP-Apple iPhone/iPad Google Photos AutoBackup
- 387.GP-old-Apple iPhone/iPad Google Photos Intro
- 385.GP-old-Android Google Photos AutoBackup
- 384.GP-old-Android Google Photos Orientation
All Google Photos Articles by Mrs. Geek
What Does This Button Do shows about Google Photos
Video created for guest appearance on DottoTech: Mrs. Geek’s Guide to Google Photos