September 12 #219 Hodgepodge of Tech Tips
What’s coming up – Our Calendar October 2021
- Oct 10, 2pm ET- Episode 221 of What Does This Button Do?
- Oct 10, 3pm ET Backstage Pass for Members Only Zoom meeting
- Oct 18, 7pm ET- Google Photos: Ask Chris Anything Live
- Oct 24, 2pm ET- Episode 222 of What Does This Button Do?
- Oct 24, 3pm ET Backstage Pass for Members Only Zoom meeting
- Oct 26-28, Roadtrek Rally in Sarasota, Fl.
- Oct 29, 7pm ET- Members Only Orientation and Q&A Live
- Nov 7, 2pm ET- Episode 223 of What Does This Button Do?
- Nov 7, 3pm ET Backstage Pass for Members Only Zoom meeting
- Nov 15, 7pm ET- Google Photos: Ask Chris Anything Live
- Nov 21, 2pm ET- Episode 224 of What Does This Button Do?
- Nov 21, 3pm ET Backstage Pass for Members Only Zoom meeting
- Nov 22, 10am Hilton Head Island Computer Club Google Photos
- Nov 26, 7pm ET- Members Only Orientation and Q&A Live
Ask the Geeks Q&A forum. Anyone can read the forum, only members can ask questions. This is a valuable benefit of membership. Join Today! Here are some recent discussions
Google Drive for Desktop: Confusion is strong with this one.
On Oct 1, Google retired the product called “Backup and Sync.” In its place is a product called Drive for Desktop. People are asking,
“What was Backup and Sync, and how do I know if I have it?”
“What is Drive for Desktop and why would I need it?”
“What happened on October 1 and do I need to do anything?”
Episode 220 of our YouTube show was all about Google Drive and the New Google Drive for Desktop. We showed in detail how to use it
and how to migrate from Backup and Sync, but I don’t think we sufficiently answered the questions above, so I’ll try in this article.
Find your spouse with Google Maps
No, I’m not talking about finding your future spouse. The name is Google Maps, not Google Matchmaker I’m talking about knowing the whereabouts of your current spouse.
And Google Maps makes it so easy. My husband and I both share our Google Maps location with the other, so if one or the other needs a ride, there is no hassle to get directions to exactly where they are. This 1 minute video will show you how.
Google Maps – Navigate to a Person’s Location Tutorial Video 707
Back to Basics: Your smartphone’s keyboard
I know you use the keyboard on your smartphone all the time, but it never hurts to take a minute to “sharpen the saw” and see if there are any bits of knowledge that can make your life easier! So, I’ve made a little checklist here of basic features of the keyboards on smartphones. Since smartphones fall into two categories, I’ll make the
checklist twice, first for iOS: iPhones and iPads, then for Android phones.
Google Photos update – for members only
- What: Zoom meeting and class for members only
- Topic: Google Photos updates
- Class materials and Recorded meeting: Google Photos Update for Members only
Have you learned something from Geeks on Tour?
If so, we’d love to get a review from you. Click the link below and you should see a right sidebar with all Geeks on Tour stuff, scroll down a bit and you should see Reviews and Write a Review.