January 2020 | Issue 149 | Archives
What’s Up with Jim and Chris – the Geeks?
Happy New Year everybody. And, Happy New Decade! The 2010s saw the smartphone transform our world – what’s next?! 5g, IoT (Internet of Things), Artificial Intelligence, and virtual reality, promise to be even more transformative. Hold on to your hats.
The photo above is at home having a rare New Year’s Eve party. Thanks to our friends who helped us make this decade changer a memorable one. No, we didn’t make them stay till midnight, we followed the countdown from Rio de Janeiro and made midnight be 9pm our time! See our December Google Photos album for lots more pictures.
Now we’re home for the holidays. We wish all the best of the season for you and your families as well.
What Does This Button Do?
We delivered two of our YouTube “Button” shows this month:
We also posted lots of new short, tutorial videos:
- 606.GP-How-To Search Using Google Photos
- 605.GP-Lens Button to Identify Birds
- 604.GP-How Do I Update Google Photos?
- 603.SM-How Do I Copy and Paste?
- 602.OT-Blog Book
- 601.GP-Photo Book
- 600.GP-Snapseed Faces Effects
- 599.GP-Snapseed Perspective Effect
- 598.GP-Snapseed Text Tool
- 597.GP-Snapseed Healing Tool
- 596.GP-Snapseed Stacks and Brush Effects
- 595.GP-Snapseed Brush Tool
- 594.GP-Snapseed Tune Image Effects
- 593.GP-Snapseed HDR
- 592.GP-Sort by date added
- 591.GP-Capture frame of motion photo
What’s coming up – Our Calendar
Back at it for the New Year. Everything is in Florida. We’ll be visiting the Tampa RV Show, too. It’s always entertaining and we see a lot of our friends.
- Jan 3 Deerfield Computer Club 10am Here’s the Seminar
- Jan 14-16 Roadtrek Rally in High Springs, FL – Just for fun
- Jan 28- Feb 2 Discovery Owners Rally in Seffner, FL.
- Feb 4-7 Riverside RV Resort in Arcadia, FL
- Feb 12-16 RVillage Rally Spirit of the Road 2020
- Feb 26 Sun City Center Computer Club Seminar
- Feb 27 Golden Gate Computer Society Remote Seminar on Snapseed
Ask the Geeks Q&A forum.
Anyone can read the forum, only members can ask questions. This is a valuable benefit of membership. Join Today! Here are some recent discussions:
- Fixing Not Red-eye, but White-eye
- Printing from Google Photos
- Signing in to MyMaps
- Make iPhone Ring Longer
Try Google Maps for Restaurant Delivery
You’ve probably heard of DoorDash, or Uber Eats? Well, there’s another one called Postmates. And then there’s Google Maps, where Restaurant listings may connect with any of the delivery services.
Lots of Google Photos updates in 2019
We keep up with them all! And, we’ve written them up in one place for you to read:
- Snapseed has moved
- Account and backup status has moved
- Manual Face Tagging
- Pick a frame from a Live or Motion photo
- Google Drive no longer syncs with Google Photos
- Get prints made straight from the app
- Photo Frames
- Markup and Text on photos
- Crop Document
- Edit movies on computer
Decade of the Geeks
It’s hard to believe that it was only 10 years ago that we bought our first smartphones. Now we’ve taught 183 episodes on how to use them!
On the other hand, it seems SO long ago that we were teaching Picasa. That was our most popular topic EVER – with a live audience of over 700 people. That all ended when Google Photos was released in 2015 – and we jumped right on that bandwagon. Cloud-based storage is definitely the way to go!
Leave us a Review
Have you learned something from Geeks on Tour?
If so, we’d love to get a review from you. Click on this link
If you like this newsletter, please forward it on to your friends! If you received this issue forwarded by a friend you can subscribe to get your own copy delivered to your in box – it’s free. You can also visit the archives of past newsletters. If you’ve learned something from us along the way, we’d love a Google Review from you!
- Show265: HodgePodge of Tech Tips for Travelers - November 22, 2023
- Nov 16, 2023: PCBUG.org presentation: Tips for Travelers using Google Maps and Google Photos - November 15, 2023
- November 2023 News: Instant Photo Sharing, Make a phone call from a photo, Google Maps for Public Transportation - November 11, 2023