If you have a house that will be empty when you’re traveling, you’ll like Alfred!
Alfred is a free app and the only hardware it needs is an old smartphone or tablet that you’re not using anymore. Your house will also need a good, always on, Internet connection with WiFi. It started as an Android only App but recently released an iOS version. The Android version has a few more features, but both work.
- Using an old phone or tablet, connect to WiFi and download the Alfred App from the play store. Install Alfred and log in using your Google account.
- Set that phone in a location where it has a good view of what you want to watch, plug it into power and turn on the Alfred app. This is your Camera – just leave it on, using Alfred, all the time.
- With your current Android phone, install Alfred and log in to your google account so you can view what the camera(s) are seeing – this phone is your Viewer.
That’s it! And it’s Free! Alfred also handles sound, it could be a baby monitor where you hear the baby crying, or you could shout at burglars! Note: the iPhone camera does not support 2-way talk. It also has motion detection and can send a notification to your phone when something is happening. When the motion detector triggers a notification, it will also automatically record the camera stream for 5 seconds. You can manually record the view anytime.
- App: Alfred Home Security IP Cam
- Author: Alfred Labs Inc
- Cost: $0
- Platform: Android; iOS (missing 2-way talk)
- Show266: SmartWatches and your Health with Dr. Ron Brown - December 2, 2023
- Show265: HodgePodge of Tech Tips for Travelers - November 22, 2023
- Nov 16, 2023: PCBUG.org presentation: Tips for Travelers using Google Maps and Google Photos - November 15, 2023