We will be staying at Palm Creek Golf and RV in Casa Grande, AZ for the entire month of December and giving seminars every week.
The Technology overview seminar is free for anyone. The others, 7 of them, are priced at $15/per person (or couple.) If you are a Geeks on Tour member, we offer a special $5/per person (or couple.) That’s the price if you’re only going to attend one seminar. We will sell tickets for 3 seminars at $30 non-member and $10 member. Two tickets is all you need to attend all 7 seminars in the month. We define a ‘couple’ as 2 people at the same site. We may also schedule some hands-on workshops depending on interest.
- 1 seminar: $15 non-member, $5 member
- 3 seminars: $30 non-member, $10 member
- 7 seminars: $60 non-member, $20 member
If you’re not staying at the park, you can still attend. Tell the Gate Guard that you’re visiting the Geeks on Tour in the San Tan room.
- Dec 5, Fri, 10-12: Geeks on Tour: Technology for Travelers Overview FREE
Meet Jim and Chris. They live full time in an RV and make extensive use of computers and technology to Plan, Preserve, and Share their travels. Their business, Geeks on Tour, is teaching you about the devices and software they think are the easiest and most useful.You will learn how they use smartphones and cellular technology for their Internet connections, what mapping and GPS technology they like best, how they manage thousands of digital pictures on their computers and post the best ones online for free and lastly, how to share all your experiences online with friends and family using Blogs and Photo Albums.
- Dec 6 Sat, 10-12: Geeks on Tour: Picasa and Google+ Web Albums for all your digital photo needs
Find your pictures by folder, filename, category, tag, face, location, or caption. It’s fast, it’s easy, and its FREE from Google. Picasa can: transfer photos from camera, delete and organize photos, rename and caption, and generally browse/view all photos on your computer. It will automatically find faces and geotags. You can also organize your pictures online (in the cloud) by using Picasa Web Albums, now known as Google Plus.
- Dec 8, Mon, 6-8: Geeks on Tour: Smartphones and Tablet Overview for Travelers
Whether you’ve had a smartphone or tablet for years, or you’re just thinking about getting one, you will learn something in this seminar. We start with explaining what these devices are and what extra costs they incur. We will discuss the features that are important to travelers: hotspot capability, GPS, Cameras, and Bluetooth, and give you our short list of must-have travel Apps. We will demonstrate how to install a QR code scanner and use it to find the information stored behind those funny looking square codes. We will show you some basic ways to customize your phone to your liking with various settings and home screen organizations.
- Dec 13 Sat, 10-12: Geeks on Tour: Make a free website with Blogger, Picasa, and Google+Imagine starting a family website when a grandchild is born, adding stories and pictures throughout the years and having a beautiful coffee table book to give to that grandchild when they graduate High School. Or … when you take that trip of a lifetime, you could have an easy-to-maintain website for the stories and photos of that trip, then print a coffee table book to remember the trip for years to come. Or … if you have a hobby, club, or small business to share with the world, a website is the way to do it! Or … all of the above.
This seminar will introduce you to Google’s free website and photo tools, Blogger.com and Picasa photo software. Learn how to start a Blog/Website and add stories and photos with Geeks on Tour’s easy to understand, step-by-step instructions.
- Dec 15 Mon 6-8: Geeks on Tour: Using Google Maps to Plan, Preserve, and Share your travels
You’ve probably been to the Google Maps website to search for a destination. But did you know that you can plan a multi-stop route and print out the directions? You can create and save custom maps to record your travels and share them with friends and family. Your custom maps can even include your photos, links, and descriptions. This seminar will show you how!
- Dec 20 Sat 10-12: Geeks on Tour: What is Cloud Computing?
The ‘Cloud’ is simply The Internet – but it is taking on special meaning as Google, Microsoft, and others are offering accounts where you can have your own slice of the sky. If you start a document with your computer, finish it on a tablet, and view it on your smartphone, you’re using Cloud Computing. This seminar will explain the concept and demonstrate how you would use it with examples from Google+ Photos, DropBox, and Onedrive. You will learn how to share pictures using the Cloud and specifically how to get photos from your smartphone to your computer automatically, using Dropbox or iCloud.
- Dec 22 Mon: Geeks on Tour: Free software for making your own movies, Photo Story and Movie Maker
Take your digital still photos and let Photostory 3 make them look like a video movie with Zoom and Pan effects. Add custom-created music and narration all with this free, and Oh-So-Easy download from Microsoft.
Learn how to make your own movies with Movie Maker, a free Windows program from Microsoft. Use your pictures and video clips, add narration and music. During the seminar, we will create a movie, step by step. You’ll see the original pictures and video clips and learn how to combine them, arrange them on the story board, add transitions, music, and narration, and render the finished movie. All you have to pay for is the popcorn!
- Dec 27: Sat: Geeks on Tour: Technology for Travelers Overview FREE
- Dec 29 Mon: Geeks on Tour: Picasa and Google+ Web Albums for all your digital photo needs