I use Facebook a lot. I frequently post pictures and little snippets about my life on Facebook. My Droid smartphone has a Facebook app that allows me to upload the pictures I take with my phone with just a couple of taps. I love the new timeline feature where I can see my life laid out by year and month. Most of my friends are on Facebook. I like being able to keep up with their lives all at once when I open Facebook and see my newsfeed. I’ve been using Facebook since 2008, I’ve studied it in depth so I can teach it. I understand Facebook
Can Google+ Beat Facebook?
Google+ is a Social Network like Facebook. Google+ was just launched in 2011. We don’t know how many people are on it, but it has a long way to go to catch up with Facebook. I’m trying to get to know Google+ and I’m not having an easy time of it. Not because it’s more difficult than Facebook but just because it is different, and I already know Facebook. Understanding Facebook does not directly translate to Google+. With 850 million people on Facebook, I view it as a directory – the white pages – for the people of the world. I don’t think there’s a place for two such directories.
- Google Hangout gives you an instant, easy way to video chat with a group of people. You can also share your screen, or watch a YouTube video together.
- Since Picasa is also owned by Google, you can expect more and more of Picasa’s features to be showing up in Google+. They’ve already taken what used to be Picnik and put the basic editing features right in with the online pictures. Google+ accounts allow you to upload an unlimited number of pictures. With Picasa Web Albums, you were limited to 1GB.
- I have installed the Google+ app on my Smartphone and now, any picture I take with my phone gets uploaded automatically. They start out as private, but you can then share them with whoever you want. Nothing to think about … I took a picture with my phone – I can look at it on my computer.
- When I write a Blog post with Blogger (owned by Google) I can automatically share that to my Google+ profile
The biggest problem with Google+ as a social network is that all my friends are on Facebook! Some have migrated to Google+ but, just like me, they keep going back to Facebook because that’s where their friends are! That’s a big obstacle for Google+ to overcome.
We had a question in our Forum this month from a member who was unhappy that her Picasa Upload button had turned into a ‘Share with Google+’ button. She didn’t want to share with Google+ because she likes the specific features in Picasa Web Albums. In the forum thread we discussed the procedure to remove Google+ so she could continue with Picasa Web Albums as before. Check out the forum question and answer if you’re wondering the same.
Better yet, register for our Techno-Geek Learning Rally April 22-28 in Bushnell, Florida. We’ll be having lots of seminars as well as hands-on classes with Picasa. We’ll be able to compare notes on Google+, Facebook, and Picasa Web Albums. Our co-hosts from TechnoRV use Macintosh and iPhoto. This will be a valuable assembly of computer knowledge for travelers – and don’t worry, we’re known for being best with beginners!
- Show265: HodgePodge of Tech Tips for Travelers - November 22, 2023
- Nov 16, 2023: PCBUG.org presentation: Tips for Travelers using Google Maps and Google Photos - November 15, 2023
- November 2023 News: Instant Photo Sharing, Make a phone call from a photo, Google Maps for Public Transportation - November 11, 2023