We’re updating the website all the time, here are some tips on how to get to the best stuff!
Find an Article
All the articles you see in this newsletter, and more, are individual posts on the website. There are nearly 1,000 of these articles! Want to see them all? Just click the menu item for Blogs/News and choose All Articles. You will see all the titles in reverse date order – the most recent articles will be first.
- Menu: Blogs/News
- Option: All Articles
Want to see if we have an article on “XYZ”? Use Search. There are 2 kinds of search:
- Search the page: if you are looking at the page of All Articles, you can search the titles by using the Ctrl-F shortcut. Ctrl-F (or Cmd-F on Mac) will Find search terms on the currently viewed page. Notice the search box that pops up in the upper right corner, just type what you’re looking for, e.g. Evernote, or Gmail, or CoPilot. Then press Enter, and every occurrence of that word on that page will be highlighted. See this piece from our weekly show that demonstrates search on page. Search on Page using iPad, Search on Page using Android
- Search the Site: Right on the home page, you should see “Search this Site” Simply type your search term or terms in the box and click the magnifying glass. Note: Normally you just type a word or two in here, but you can even type in something like “How to manage my mobile data usage”
Find a Tutorial Video
We have nearly 470 Tutorial videos divided into 12 categories. We encourage members to watch all the tutorial videos in the categories that interest you.
- Menu: Tutorial Videos
- Option: All videos and Categories
You will see links to each of 12 categories here, but, if you scroll down, you will see one complete list of all the tutorial videos in numeric order. Every video is assigned a sequential ID number. If you know that number, it’s easy to find the video – either by scrolling thru or use Ctrl-F to search.
What if you’re looking for that one particular video about Google Maps on an iPad and you’re not sure if it’s in the Google Maps category or the Smartphone category? Use Ctrl-F to search the page for a word or words you believe to be in the title. For example, if you’re looking for a video that taught something about Facebook Friends, you could search for “friend.” Note that this is an exact search, each character you type will instantly be highlighted in the body of the page. Searching for “friends” will not find you titles where Friend is singular.
Find a Weekly Show Episode
We’ve recorded nearly 100 episodes of our Live Weekly Show: What Does This Button Do? We keep track of them all on the Weekly Show page. All you have to do is select it from the menu and scroll down to see the listing of every show. The listing includes a few words about the topics covered in that show, so you can use the Ctrl-F “Search This Page” technique discussed above to find any one show.
- Menu: Weekly Show
Don’t know what you’re looking for, but want to learn something? We’ve started a new feature on the website called Surprise Me! Each week the selections will change, so come back often. There’s one selection for Members and one for non-members. You’ll find the link right on the home page in the opening paragraph.
- Menu: Home
- Option: scroll down just a bit and you’ll see the link to Surprise Me!
Ask a Question
Can’t find an article or video for what you want to learn? Use the Q&A forum and ask the Geeks anything. We especially like questions like, “I want to learn xyz, what videos should I watch?” We will guide you in the right direction. Asking questions is available for members only, but anyone can view the answers. Perusing the Q&A forum will teach you lots!
If you have a technology question, please ask in the forum. First you must be logged in. Click on Forum in the menu, and make sure you see “Logged in As you in the upper right. If not, then fill in the login form in the middle. Now find the topic appropriate for your question. Click on that topic, then you should see a link to “Add a New Topic.” Give your question a Topic Name – Subject. Then type your question in the body and scroll to the bottom where you will see a button to ‘Submit Topic.’
Quick Video: How to Post to the Forum
- Menu: Q&A Forum
- Option: to ask a question, select a category, then “Add Topic”